This Assistant Manager is responsible for the overall operational efficiency and soundness of assigned branch and proactively partners with the Branch Relationship Manager in leading a branch team to achieve service, sales, profitability and operational excellence in accordance with the Heritage Bank Mission, Vision, and Values.
This is a full time position. Typical schedule is Monday – Thursday 8:45AM – 5:45PM, and Friday 9:15AM – 6:15PM. Flexibility is required to ensure adequate staffing for training or employee absences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Other duties/projects may be assigned):
- Ensures customer service in the branch is conducted in accordance with the Heritage Bank Service Standards, and staff proactively refers and sells bank products and services based on customer needs.
- Organizes and directs operational workflow to minimize risk and ensure efficient, effective procedures, practices, staff composition and scheduling.
- Maintains a comprehensive knowledge of products and services, operational policies and procedures and federal and state laws/regulations pertaining to compliance and branch operations.
- Ensures accuracy and timely completion of audits, certifications, compliance, and reporting. Ensure audit, security, and compliance issues and/or concerns are addressed and resolved in a timely manner. Acts as a liaison between branch and support departments.
- Actively leads and trains staff to ensure branch consistently adheres to all regulatory compliance standards, internal operational and credit controls and follows all operating policies and procedures.
- Resolves customer questions, concerns and issues in a timely manner to maintain optimal branch performance in service quality, accuracy, efficiency, and manage risk prudently. Make and approve policy and procedure exceptions within assigned limits.
- Provides exceptional service and positively contribute to the sales goals and overall success of the branch by recommending and referring bank products based on customer needs and by building and maintaining professional working relationships with all lines of business.
- Mentors and train branch staff on service standards to foster growth of new & existing customer relationships.
- Develops skills of staff through goal-setting, coaching, problem resolution, delegation, training, counseling, and performance management.
- Works collaboratively with Retail Management and Human Resources to recommend staffing levels and approve personnel actions such as hiring, terminations, promotions, transfers, timely performance reviews and salary increases, in accordance with legal and acceptable Bank personnel practices.
- Assists management with the development of the quarterly business plan, including sales goals and strategies to ensure maximum profitability. Actively manage the income and expense budget(s) for assigned branch. May assist with the annual budgeting process.
- Assists as back up for CSA and FSA positions, as needed.
- Assists management with the successful implementation of marketing and promotional programs for new products and services.
- Represents the Bank in the local community through involvement in professional organizations, activities, and by attending civic and community group meetings and events.
- Monitors supplies, furniture, equipment and security levels ensuring the efficient operation of the branch.
- Monitors the physical appearance and condition of the branch and report needed improvements to the Facilities Department.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Proven ability to provide professional, responsive customer service; with strong customer service delivery and relationship selling skills.
- Strong listening, verbal, written, and telephone etiquette business communication skills, including effective questioning strategies and presentation skills; with the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English well.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills are required to manage, motivate, and develop a team, and monitor workflow and schedules. Employee development, performance management, training and employee counseling skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to train employees in customer service, sales, operations, compliance and product knowledge.
- In-depth working knowledge of all retail job functions, paying/receiving, operations, branch certifications, products and services, account and legal documentation.
- Thoroughly understands and applies principles, procedures, compliance requirements, state/federal regulations, and policies related to assigned area of oversight.
- Strong understanding of debit/credit relationships and negotiable instruments; math skills to calculate interest, balance accounts and locate routine and non-routine mathematical errors.
- Demonstrated and consistent sales and business development skills with the ability to identify customer needs and cross-sell the Bank’s products and services with confidence.
- Strong analytical reasoning, problem-solving, independent judgement, decision making, attention to detail, organizational, data review and time management skills, with the ability to accurately manage multiple assignments, goals, reporting requests and staffing schedules, ensuring priorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met, with minimal direction and supervision.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient PC experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook); and working knowledge of financial services industry core processing and automated banking systems, i.e., Fiserv or equivalent; with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.
- This position may require National Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) registration under the terms of the SAFE Act of 2008. Continued employment in this position with Heritage Bank is contingent upon successful registration and annual re-registration thereafter.
- High School diploma or equivalent - required. Associates degree or higher – preferred.
- 3+ years’ recent experience in retail banking branch operations, sales and new accounts, to include a minimum of 2 years in a lead or supervisory role and demonstrated success in leading, coaching, and motivating a team, within a financial services industry – required.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule(s) with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule, Saturday’s and/or extended hours, as needed.
- May be exposed to potential risk and hazards associated with criminal activity (e.g., robbery and/or attempted robbery, fraud, security) - receives detailed instruction to minimize risk.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner, facsimile, fine count cash and operate a cash counter which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time and duration of shift. Ability to occasionally kneel, reach, bend, push, pull and carry.
- Occasional lifting to independently move and/or push cart to transport money and coin, 25-50 lbs., or files and/or boxes 5-10 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com.